With summer upon us, I always have an abundance of tomatoes which ripen all at once! This summer's crop has been particularly slow, so I decided to just jump right in with the many green tomatoes in my garden and make fried green tomatoes! Everyone was home for lunch one day so we had "tomato day" for lunch.....
4 to 5 green tomatoes
1 c. flour
1 T. garlic salt
2 eggs, beaten
Crushed red pepper
1/2 c. italian bread crumbs
1/2 c. panko bread crumbs
Oil for frying
Buttermilk dressing for drizzling
1. Slice tomatoes into 1/2" thick slices.
2. Mix the garlic salt with the flour in a bowl. Place the beaten eggs with some crushed red pepper (optional) in a second bowl. Mix the bread crumbs together and place in a third bowl on counter.
3. Dredge the tomato slice first with the flour on both sides. Then dip it into the egg mixture and coat thoroughly. Finally, dredge it with the bread crumbs. Place tomato slices on a rack and let sit until all of the tomatoes are coated.
4. Heat about 1" of vegetable oil in a cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet until shimmering. Add the tomatoes, about 4 at a time so they aren't crowded, and fry 45 seconds per side or until browned. Remove and place on paper towels to drain.
5. Place tomatoes on serving dish and drizzle with buttermilk dressing if desired. I served mine alongside my tomatoes with fresh mozzarella, basil and balsamic glaze!